Wow! What a busy August it has been.
The kids and I took a road trip and were away for two weeks. Then we returned to crazy Back-To-School mode. Phew! I’m pooped!
And while I’ve been cooking (we DO have to eat, after all!) I haven’t been blogging. I’m just too worn out at the end of the day to actually think.
But I made something tonight that I wanted to share with you. As usual, it was pretty easy. I did most of the prep work while the kids told me about their day and did homework. Then I cooked it while I let them watch a show.
My daughter came down with a stomach bug this morning and was on the BRAT diet all day. So I knew she needed to have rice for dinner. I found some Arborio Rice in my pantry and decided to run with it — I would make plain risotto for her and something a little more substantial for my guys.
Plus, I had a ton of veggies in my fridge that were on the fringe. It was either use `em, or lose `em. So I came up with this dish:
Shrimp and Veggie Risotto
- 1 cup risotto
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bag of frozen, raw shrimp
- 1 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 green zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 yellow zucchini squash, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- shredded parmesan cheese (to sprinkle on top)
- The Hubs loved it, saying ‘It’s great.’
- My 3 year old didn’t eat the shrimp and veggies since she was on a bland diet. But she loved her plain risotto and asked for seconds.
- My 5 year old was in love. He ate the entire bowl in record time.
- My 7 year old ate it under duress (this is how he does EVERYTHING these days. Even trying to get him ready for a trip to the pool turns me into a broken record: “Put your bathing suit on. Put your bathing suit on. Put your bathing suit on.”) He complained about how ‘EVERYONE’ knows he HATES zucchini and how DARE I give him zucchini!!!! (The NERVE!!!) I asked him to give it a try and promised he would not get dessert if he kept up his Oscar-worthy performance. Low-and-behold… he actually didn’t hate it. He ate it. And if he wasn’t so set on being so difficult about EVERYTHING these days… he may have even had seconds.
I hope that getting back into the school routine gets me back on the blog routine. I’ve missed writing these past few weeks. The cooking…. well…. not so much! LOL!