It’s been a good long while since last I visited with you here. For that, I’m sorry. I got caught up in my life, taking on some time-consuming volunteerism roles in my community. Time got away from me, the same way it’s been known to escape the best of us.
This past year, I gave up some of those roles and decided to take time for myself – to get back to writing, creating, and parenting. Then — pandemic hit. All of our worlds were turned upside down. And while I normally would have embraced and cherished the extra time with my husband and kids, my life spiraled downward when my mother was diagnosed with cancer, fought bravely for seven months, and then lost her battle last month.
To say I need a creative, emotional outlet now more than ever is an understatement.
Shortly before my mom passed away, my friend Christina reached out to me and asked if I would start writing my blog again because she could use some inspiration. Little did she know her request would be what inspired me to relaunch my little pet project.
So this one’s for you Christina! I hope you enjoy it!
Cavatappi with Sausage, Ricotta and Tomatoes
Difficulty: SUPER easy
Family: 5 forks (5 forks means we ALL love this)
- 16oz Cavatappi
- 1lb Sweet Italian Ground Sausage
- 2tsp minced garlic
- 15oz Container of Ricotta Cheese
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes (2 cans if you want it more saucy)
- Handful of fresh torn basil leaves
- Italian seasoning
- Boil a pot of water and prepare the Cavatappi according to the package directions
- In a deep skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil and sauté the garlic
- Add sausage to the skillet and brown it. Drain the grease.
- Return the sausage to the skillet, mix in the tomatoes and heat through.
- Toss the tomato-sausage mixture with the cooked cavatappi. Spoon into individual bowls.
- Top each serving with a dollop of ricotta and a sprinkling of the fresh basil.